Now only available in 64 Bit.
Manjaro is a user-friendly GNU/Linux distribution based on the independently developed Arch Linux. Within the Linux community, Arch itself is renowned for being an exceptionally fast, powerful and lightweight distribution that provides access to the very latest cutting-edge software.
However, Arch is also traditionally aimed at more experienced or technically-minded users. As such, it is generally considered to be beyond the reach of many, especially those who lack the technical expertise (or persistence) required to use it.
Developed in Austria, France, and Germany, Manjaro aims to provide all of the benefits of Arch Linux combined with a focus on user-friendliness and accessibility. Manjaro is suitable for newcomers as well as experienced Linux users.
For newcomers, a user-friendly installer is provided, and the system itself is designed to work fully “straight out of the box” with features including:
- Pre-installed desktop environments
- Pre-installed graphical applications to easily install software and update your system
- Pre-installed codecs to play multimedia files,
- Pre-installed access to the latest games
Manjaro shares many of the same features as Arch, including:
- Speed, power, and efficiency
- Access to the very latest cutting- and bleeding-edge software
- A “rolling release” development model that provides the most up-to-date system possible without the need to regularly install a new operating system release
- Access to the Arch User Repositories
- The versatility to be shaped and moulded in every respect to suit personal taste and preference.
However, Manjaro boasts a few extra features of its own, including:
- A simplified, user-friendly installation process
- Automatic detection of your computer’s hardware (e.g. graphics cards)
- Automatic installation of the necessary software (e.g. graphics drivers) for your system
- Dedicated software repositories that deliver fully tested and stable software packages
- Support for the easy installation and use of multiple kernels